Sunday, October 23, 2011

Michael Feldstein

Nice seeing everyone at Educause last week. Katy, Scot and I caught up with Michael Feldstein last Thursday. Michael has recently joined Cengage [a Pearson competitor]. We sat down to talk OpenClass, and after our talk, here's some of what Michael had to say on his blog. It was a friendly conversation; Michael and I have known each other a long time. No one took any notes.

The big buzz at EDUCAUSE last week was around OpenClass, Pearson’s new LMS entrant....My conclusion is that this product could be a very big deal indeed....@Sannier is a big fan of Clayton Christensen, the man who coined the term “disruptive innovation.” If you really want to understand what OpenClass is all about, go out and read The Innovator’s Dilemma and The Innovator’s Solution very carefully. There are very specific reasons why “free” and “easy” are the words you will hear most often from Adrian when he is speaking about the product. The audacity of what Pearson is attempting should not be underestimated. If they succeed, they could cause major tectonic shifts across several markets that are currently critical to higher education.
He has his concerns too, mostly about privacy and control.
His post is worth a read. Though I don't agree with some of his interpretations -- both of what I had to say and of what OpenClass has to offer -- I appreciate his perspective.

1 comments:

Michael Feldstein October 24, 2011 at 6:56 AM  

Thanks, Adrian. I'd be grateful if you would point out where you think I got it wrong in the comments thread on that post. I do my best to get things right and present a fair picture, but I don't always get it right. What I do hope came through on that post is that I respect what I perceive to be the grand ambition of the project, even if that ambition has some serious issues baked into it that need to be sorted out.