Our friend Josh Kim posted some more challenges for the OC team. We appreciate Josh’s commitment to more open conversations across the community and for his feedback on our willingness to have a public dialog about OpenClass. We hope that this approach encourages others across the community to participate in the future.
Like all good friends, Josh tells us straight, and in his most recent OpenClass post he gave us four injunctions:
- Utilize OpenClass as an Extranet Platform
- Aggregate the Discussion
- Publish all costs
- Publish all adoptions
Regarding Josh’s latest ideas, we’re happy to say that all of these are in our interest and we plan to do each of these, and most will be substantially in place In the next 3-4 months.
- Team OC wants nothing more than for everyone to have the opportunity to get their hands on OpenClass. To begin to meet the demand for OpenClass access outside the Google institutions, we will begin sending invitations to those who have registered their interest with us at joinOpenClass.com over the next several weeks.If you are not using Google Apps for Education and would like to get a first-hand look into the product please email info@JoinOpenClass.com We are following a careful growth path, working toward general availability in the first half of next year.
- Our goal is to provide as much detail around OpenClass as possible to the community. As details around the OpenClass offering crystallize, we will continue to grow our website, broaden and deepen the available information and create a central place for everyone to find information on OpenClass and discuss how it should improve. As a start, this week we added visual walkthroughs of some of the key features within OpenClass on the www.joinopenclass.com website.
- As Pearson better understands the integration and support models that the community will be receptive to, we will publish how we plan to provide those services commercially. Pearson will offer helpdesk, integration and other commercial services to help meet the needs of institutions that would choose Pearson to provide those services. Remember though that Pearson is committed to provide to OpenClass institution at no cost in a self-service way.
- TeamOC is eager to share the stories from institutions and other partners as they experience and engage with OpenClass. As we progress we will be encouraging OpenClass users to share their experiences with one another. Look for these in the upcoming weeks on www.joinopenclass.com
We are working hard to meet the demand for information over the next several months as the OpenClass community grows. We are committed to transparency and really appreciate everyone's interest and advice.