Monday, June 18, 2007

WWDC . . . and an Apple for me . . .

PCAsJobs.jpg
A Steve Jobs performance is never to be missed and last week's Keynote at the Apple WorldWide Developers Conference at the Moscone Center in San Francisco was no exception.

It began with a nice bit from John Hodgman, starring as PC from the PC/Mac ads, pretending to be Steve Jobs. Dressed in jeans and a Steve Jobs signature black mock turtleneck, PC tried hard to convince the crowd that Apple was in fact closing up shop due to the incredible success of Vista. The partisan crowd ate it up... But I have to admit that after Steve was finished, I had to consider the possibility that Apple is out innovating everyone else in the desktop/personal computing space.

I enjoyed my 8 minutes of fame later in the day as part of the State of IT. My talk focused on the amazing difference that Apple's iTunes U has made in getting ASU's podcasting capability to market quickly. (While the State of IT presentation is covered by Apple confidentiality restrictions, I made remarks similar to my State of IT thoughts in a recent podcast (transcript).

No doubt about it, Apple is pretty hot right now. The iPod redefined music... Leopard is amazing... the iPhone promises to be a breakout device. Sales of MacBooks are really brisk... and getting brisker. Apple stores rule as a shopping experience.
So as of last week, I have officially switched. Over the course of a couple of days, I migrated all my files to a MacBook Pro equipped with Parallels. So far I'm really impressed by the experience. I'm running Outlook side by side with Safari and iChat, and so far its the best computing experience I've ever had.

Plus I can now identify with the cool kid in the ads... I've always been a sucker for the cool kids.

2 comments:

Cameron Scholtz June 20, 2007 at 3:48 AM  

I don't know who is out innovating who but Apple's brand is definitely on fire right now. The iPhone is helping to make AAPL is one of the tech stocks of 2007. AAPL, CSCO and GOOG. Leave the rest alone for now.

cheers,

Cameron

Nancy Lee June 21, 2007 at 10:24 AM  

Oh, I can't let THIS one go by! (I'll let someone else tackle the FTP problem. I just use an FTP client on Mac, either Fetch - little dog - or Fugu - little blowfish.)

But talk about cool kids! Derwin just showed me this new iPod ad with Paul McCartney, and you cannot get cooler:



(http://www.apple.com/itunes/ads/mandolin/)

Apple just kills.

Nancy