Saturday, February 18, 2006

Podcast of this Week's All-IT Meeting

The podcast of this week's all company meeting is up on the DMIT channel as of Friday. You can reach it from either of these links: Web Link or Podcast Link.

More and more of what we all say in public is going into the record, which is good and bad. On the good side, it should make it easier to communicate. For example, if you didn't make Thursday's meeting, you can still find out what was said. And if you didn't quite catch something, you can replay it to try and make sense out of it. If you want to discuss what was said with a friend, a podcast gives everyone eidectic memories, reducing the potential for confusion.

One of the downsides though, from my point of view, is that whatever you say can come back to haunt you. And for someone who speaks from the hip most of the time, that's a chilling thing. Because from listening to some of these podcasts myself, I've noticed that I don't always strike the tone I'm aiming for, don't always say the words I mean to say. Combine that with the fact that everything you say means something different to every hearer, and its a wonder we can communicate at all.

I do better when I write I think, because at least then I get the opportunity to review what I'm saying. So if there are reactions, negative or positive, to what you heard in the meeting/podcast, please let me know, either here as a comment, or in an email, attributed or anonymous. I'm trying to help here, so if you heard something you agree with, feel free to let me know. Likewise, if something disturbed you, let me know that too. It will give me a chance to correct my opinion, or explain myself better.

I appreciate your help, and I'm looking forward to working with everyone in the ASU community.

6 comments:

gregw,  February 22, 2006 at 2:43 AM  

Would it be possible to also have a transcript of the Podcast? I notice many people in IT are listening to it and it would be nice to have a transcript to read over also.

I see this talk as a working vision for where all of us as employees in IT are headed.

Thanks for the vision.

I look forward to our future and the changes coming.
Change means challenge, growth, and interesting things to do ahead. I am excited we all will have new things to do that make it fun to come to work each day.

pchorner,  February 22, 2006 at 7:55 AM  

I played the podcast at our department meeting a couple days ago. We then discussed what we heard. We haven't any negative comments about the delivery or content. It was actually refreshing to hear you articulate the purpose of IT, the role it plays as a "partner", and the need to support the students and faculty. I personally was pleased to hear you address IT positions and duties with a serious and blunt tone. You hit the nail on the head- we are here for our employer's needs, not the other way around. The message my department got out of this was that if you are worth your salt, you will add value to ASU in whatever the changes may be. Those who exhibit proactive and productive characteristics and who's outcomes add value and promote the institution's goals should be excited about what appears on the ASU IT roadmap. I think we (ASU IT as a generic entity) have existed as a border town between the Land of Chaos and the Green Pastures. All we needed was a community leader to tell us it is time to plan and execute an evacuation and start a new town away from the border and it's influences. The plan will not be just a logistical one, it will include social reprogramming in order to exist at our new destination. Thanks for sharing your meeting via mp3 :)

Perry

Melinda122,  March 1, 2006 at 3:55 AM  

I listened to the podcast and am optimistic about the changes happening at IT - now UTO. There are a lot of good people there. I hope they flourish in the new environment.

I am curious if UTO has a plan to help restore the communication lines and trust between "Central IT" and the various IT departments around campus? I have worked in a couple different IT depts at ASU. We sometimes felt we were treated as second class citizens or less knowledgeable than "Central IT" even though our knowledge and skills were at least comparable.

My suggestion would be to include as many non-UTO IT staff as possible in the new process. If they perceive an openness and willingness to be included in the process, they may respond with fresh thinking - just like Adrian brought to ASU himself.

I think ASU as a whole will benefit by a cooperative and respectful environment for all technology personnel.

vinnys,  March 1, 2006 at 7:22 AM  

Interesting to hear that Perry was personally pleased to hear Adrian address IT positions and duties with a serious and blunt tone, even if that might instill fear for some of us that we could loose our jobs, but I guess we are probably not worth our salt anyway is that correct Perry? I wonder how you would have written your blog entry if you were in our position. The morale here at IT/UTO Perry is not so good and you perhaps made it a bit worse but go ahead and revel in that as you are applauding Adrian's podcast even when he himself has some doubts about its outcome. You should really think about what you have written before you send it Perry or possibly you just don’t care.

Cat,  March 3, 2006 at 9:16 AM  

Giddyup, right back at ya, Adrian! Presentation nicely done. I hope this podcast is getting the attention of the entire university.

Here's to a new era of integration and innovation with the partnership of the University Technology Office and our entire university community. We have big dreams here in Business Technology Services and this sounds like a solid plan for making them reality. Woo-hoo!

user21,  March 8, 2006 at 2:29 AM  

Can the content of this site's podcast mp3 files be posted in an alternate format? Audio files are not accessible to some who are hearing-impaired. Thanks.